The etymologist finds the deadest word to have been once a brilliant
picture.
Language is fossil poetry. As the limestone of the continent
consists of
infinite masses of the shells of animalcules, so language is
made up of images,
or tropes, which now, in their secondary use, have long
ceased to remind us of
their poetic origin.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Role of Media Technology in the Classroom


Welcome to Fossil Poetry.  The name of this blog was taken from Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “The Poet”; the quote is written below the blog title. 

People seem to have mixed feelings regarding the use of technology in the classroom and I am no different.  Media technology was not used a great deal when I was in public school and I feel as though lack of exposure has not hurt me whatsoever.  As a teacher, I am more comfortable writing on the board instead of constructing a Power Point.  This is not an attempt to rebel against the new era; I just feel that, as a student, it is easier for me to see words on a white board than on some flashy screen. 

 On the other hand, technological advances do not seem to be slowing down.  Last semester while student teaching, our class was rewarded an ELMO.  This is a visual presenter that projects whatever image you place under it, onto the overhead screen.  The benefit of having an ELMO in the classroom is the amount of transparencies you won’t have to make.  My students loved seeing their work on the screen and put more effort into it if they knew their work could possibly be shown to their classmates. 

Overall, I believe incorporating some technology into teaching is essential to keeping students’ attention, but I also believe that too much technology use could result in burn-out.  Last semester I was able to use the My Access program with my students.  I was warned by another teacher to limit the amount of times I use My Access with the students because they will “get sick of it”.  This could be the result with any type of technology.  Part of teaching is knowing how to sell a lesson to your students by making it exciting and changing things up so each lesson contains something new. 

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said, that media technology was not used when you were growing up and it did not affect your education. I like the idea of traditional teaching, but like that you said we should keep with the times to keep students interested. Because kids are so dependent on technology out of school, it would be almost foreign to them for a teacher to write on the whiteboard the whole class. While it does make me a little sad that traditional teaching methods such as writing on the board, transparencies and lecture are being replaced by technology, it is a necessary change to keep the students involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    I appreciate your middle road approach to the topic of technology in
    the classroom. I definitely had a similar lack of technology in my
    middle and high school years, but I also do not seem to be worse off
    than others who may be overly exposed to technology. One article/study
    I found the other day which may interest you discusses their findings
    in relation to the possible harm or help technology of various medias
    may result in:

    http://www.csudh.edu/psych/ADHDVideoGames3.htm

    I think it is safe to say that some technology. such as the ELMO,
    smart-boards, and various programs for networking and communication
    via the internet should be essential parts of the classroom. However,
    as you mention, we should not result to the same forms of media for
    every lesson: use ELMO, use MyAccess, but throw in some good old
    fashioned white board and markers which, yes, are arguably technology
    as well. Moderation is key, as with it seems most everything. Thanks
    for sharing your thoughts, Kristin!


    -Allison Smith

    ReplyDelete