The etymologist finds the deadest word to have been once a brilliant
picture.
Language is fossil poetry. As the limestone of the continent
consists of
infinite masses of the shells of animalcules, so language is
made up of images,
or tropes, which now, in their secondary use, have long
ceased to remind us of
their poetic origin.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Poetry Reflection

I actually like to write poetry.  It's distracting.  The hardest part of writing poetry, however, is figuring out what type of poem I'm actually writing.  Sometimes I break lines because I like the way it makes the poem look.  Other times I break a line because I like the thought it leaves me with before reading the next line.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. It is very relaxing, but I need time to sit and think to hash out the ideas. My dad tried starting a poem on the spot while we were playing tennis the other day; he started a line and told me to just add to it. It actually made me upset after a while because I didn't want to just throw any old words out there! I need to focus on the things like line breaks and what punctuation I want where. Unlike you, I do not really think about the type of poem I am writing but only focus on the sound and feeling of the rhythms.

    ReplyDelete